Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Flood damage from burst pipes, overflowing toilets, roof leaks, mold, storm damage, and others can disrupt your life and leave you confused when it happens. However, when this happens, you need to act immediately and call a professional water restoration company for help. When looking for experts to help with water damage to your home or business, there are a few things that you need to check first. Are all of the employees licensed and trained? Do they have the proper insurance? Do they have modern water damage restoration tools? Can they give you a thorough plan for the damage repair? Do they offer any services after the damage is fixed? Will they help with your insurance claim? We can't speak for anyone else, but for SERVPRO, the answer is YES to all of these questions. Don't let anyone start on your home or business until you have spoken to the professionals at SERVPRO of Downtown New Orleans.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (504) 287-4952
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.